MCOS

Re: Navigation Challenges

Post by MCOS »

What was the answer to the last one?
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

RunningMatters wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:30 pm FRG.jpg

This is what I think is the answer. I'll take a look on patreon later to see the answer.
Spot on with this one :D
RunningMatters

Oct 1st Navigation Challenge

Post by RunningMatters »

RunningMatters

Re: Oct 1st Navigation Challenge

Post by RunningMatters »

RunningMatters wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:11 am
I have my solution, there were two locations but narrowing it down to this on the basis of the height of photograph and clear fence / wall lines in the distance.
RunningMatters

October 8th - Navigation Challenge

Post by RunningMatters »

Navigation Task:
Compare map and photo. On the map pinpoint where the photo was taken and the 2 features circled #fellrunning #mapreading
Video answer for Patreon subscribers this evening

RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

This is a familiar view as it was used recently but on closer examination it is a different angle.

The valley with trees is a defining feature that can draw you to several options for the location. However the defining feature on the top of the hill stands out and is distinctive so leaves you with one obvious location to work around.

Locating the feature on the side of the hill is not so obvious a feature on the map but using local land features and relative contours is it possible to roughly position it relative to other landmarks - it's at or just above the stream and flatter ground with stones to the left of the photo, also the terrain facing us is relatively planar left to right so its not tucked into a reentry or sitting on a spur.

The position of the photographer is orientated towards the base of a shoulder at what looks like exposed rock in open ground. We are on a section of high ground that slopes gently but the ground is still rising to our right so we're tucked up somewhere on the side of a hill overlooking a broad expanse of open gentle sloping ground with a sudden drop of elevation between the areas. There seems to be a track or trail just to our left, possibly an animal trail or hikers desire line so may not be a map marked track.

Putting all into the map - I believe we are looking at
A. the Horse Stone close to 527 over Hoses Stone Naze
B. area within the field of stones to the right of Horse Stone Spring above 460 but before the bank sweeps into the network of streams
C. camera position is just south (within 100m) of Crow Stone Edges quite likely on the marked track or close to it.
100820 Nav.jpg
100820 Nav.jpg (197.23 KiB) Viewed 429 times
RunningMatters

Oct 15th - Navigation Challenge

Post by RunningMatters »

A bit of a route choice today:

RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

Route choices from A to B.
Quickest? Safest? Easiest to navigate? Bad visibility option?
Attack points and catching features?
I'm not seeing a whole lot of choice!

There is a safe route that has you lose a load of height only to have to regain it - following stream at NW down to floodplain and then work your way back up through the network of streams and height. Definitely safer, but also longer and I doubt if it is any quicker.

I would be using the same route regardless of weather or visibility and would adjust each leg goal accordingly to suit. I'm looking at 5 distinct phases:
1. From A cross-contouring and picking way up to top of cliffs and crags. Aiming off to ensure you don't miss the 'corner', timing ~20-23mins @ hiking pace
2. Follow cliffs & shoulder as a handrail to meet or get to fence (wall ?) junctions SE of 637 summit ~5-7mins Poor weather or visibility step S from cliffs but follow shoulder line.
3. From summit use NW bearing to get down to easy contour and route back to fenceline below crag. Picking through - in poor weather or visibility this may be the risky place so take time picking though.
4. Follow fencline contouring up to aim off to open flattish marshy area immediately south of B. Use fenceline and crag as stop & check features.
5. Attack pond at B
RunningMatters

November 5th: Navigation Challenges

Post by RunningMatters »

A nice head scratcher for the nav challenge this week. Will take a bit of time on the map later.