Navigation Challenges

RunningMatters

Navigation Challenges

Post by RunningMatters »

I follow Dave aka Fell Running Guide on Twitter https://twitter.com/fellrunningguid who sets a weekly navigation challenge asking you to compare a photo with a map segment, identify the features marked and the position of the camera.

A good exercise to get your mind switched on for map reading.

Dave has a Patreon site where he publishes the answer and explains the methodology of how to work through and be sure of your position. It would be respectful of us to NOT publish his answer without being a member of his Patreon however I don't believe there is anything to stop us discussing and figuring it out ourselves here.
Last edited by RunningMatters on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RunningMatters

Sept 10th - Navigation Challenges

Post by RunningMatters »

This was a good one to identify a feature which in itself is relatively straightforward when you break down the details of what you are looking at in the photo.

The hard part is getting the position and height of the camera position correct.

RunningMatters

Sept 17th - Navigation Challenge

Post by RunningMatters »

Route planning based on the information provided by two different maps of the same area.

RunningMatters

Re: Sept 17th - Navigation Challenge

Post by RunningMatters »

This is interesting as without a legend I'm uncertain but I believe the solid black lines are walls or fences demarcating private land / farm land which likely have livestock in situ.

MAP 1
My first gambit would be due East from A however that involves crossing a river coming out of a steep reentry with no clear crossing point to the N-S trail by Crowden Clough.

The 'safe' choice would be to remain high and head NE from A on the track and stay high following the track all the way to the 532 summit and bear directly S skirting the cliff to B. Distance is roughly twice as far on 'level' ground, marked route versus dropping contours, crossing streams, navigating farmland and climbing back up.

Plan B is drop from A to the Pennine Way, onto Road, coffee in the village, back to Pennine Way and guesstimate / pace to Busing cliff as a 'too far' identifier.

MAP 2
Makes a very clear decision option similar to 1st move above.
East from A (assuming OK to cross farm + plough on) handrail wall / fence to N onto the trail by "Fords", follow this trail S taking left hand split at "Waterfall". Remain on trail all the way to B.
MCOS

Re: Navigation Challenges

Post by MCOS »

You don't know if you have access to those fields E, SE and S from you. You don't know if you can safely cross the river. Risks therin... suggest on contrary to all, to head W to pick up the Pennine Way then follow it ESE. Hit the road as checkmark, back on the clear Pennine Way trail at the campsite to your 370m spot height. Pace it so you recognise the reentrant. Might seem longer route around but less risky and potentially faster.

Oh and choose Harvey's for more detail but go with OS as its practice for AR!
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

MCOS wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:37 pm You don't know if you have access to those fields E, SE and S from you.
Apparently there are indications that some fields can be crossed. I'll review the explanation video later to see what the outcome is.

I'll stick with this route 👇 for now (might change mind after learning more from author) and race you :D
RunningMatters wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:15 pm East from A (assuming OK to cross farm + plough on) handrail wall / fence to N onto the trail by "Fords", follow this trail S taking left hand split at "Waterfall". Remain on trail all the way to B.
RunningMatters

Setp 24th - Navigation Challenges

Post by RunningMatters »

I was late to the party yesterday so missed this

RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

I think I have it figured out and have posted my reply on Twitter.

We're looking across a Y shape feature which would appear as a river gorge or cutting. Plenty of trees on the slopes but high ground very plateau like and flat with exposed rock under the bog.

Photo is being taken from a large(ish) slab feature over a flat piece of ground looking down to the other features which are distinctive as 1. a sharp ridge and 2. a deep triangular shaped cutting.

I believe we are at or close to Crows Stone Edge 521 point looking between Horse Stone Naze (??Naze = nose = shoulder / ridge?) and the Deer Holes
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

FRG.jpg
FRG.jpg (165.92 KiB) Viewed 605 times
This is what I think is the answer. I'll take a look on patreon later to see the answer.
MCOS

Post by MCOS »

Agree with the photo from the front of the crow stones. The left point yeah the cut out angle and 150m drop down to the river. I think that horse stone naze is too far right. Look at ridge height for point A and B, can't be more than 50-100m in the difference. About 410-420m looks to be the spot height, so I'd go with "the lands". Hard to see on the phone though