Fit & Fast(er) for 2021

A place for you to log your training as a diary
RunningMatters

Review & Ahead

Post by RunningMatters »

Not a bad week last week. Got some decent running in even though missed long run on sunday.

Couple of big rows, first half marathon which was faster than my running PB.
Some yoga not too much as felt very sore through the back and shoulder after physio. Kayak erg was similar - just wasn't feeling right in the week so eased off.

Happy with the week, big finish with the amount of hiking, but that was also a test with long hours on wet feet carrying a big pack in horrible conditions. The new rain jacket performed admirably so happy with that. Will shop for a micro-down jacket as a winter midlayer or for dry days top layer and probably need to watch out for waterproof pants on sales somewhere. Balancing quality and cost is key as they will get ripped and torn so can't be lashing out €€€.

Plan is to ease life back into the legs, some new aches and stiffness this morning - foam roller. Get rowing and running, build yoga and strength consistency and take it from there.
Like MCOS lockdown is imminent so may be some #godark sessions and must see what is happening with the Mourne Skyrun as that is coming up soon. May be a cancellation or deferral on the cards for that.
RunningMatters

Week 41

Post by RunningMatters »

Ended up taking Monday off for a complete break.

Legs were tight so a little foam rolling. I caught my fingers (across the nails) in a fire door at the weekend so they have been very sensitive to touch and pressure of grip is uncomfortable so no rowing.

Early to bed and a decent sleep made a difference.

Tuesday - I started back with a run which was only intended to be 40-50mins but it was lovely out and my legs woke up a bit so I just rambled on. Headed up towards the leadmines but ran around the back on the roads before cutting up on the trails and down to Barnaslingan woods

Cutting back over the leadmines and down through Rathmichael Woods the light was failing so there were some moments of "shit I can't see the ground!" back on the road section, I put the foot down as I'd no lights or reflectors with me, got off the road and trotted back through the village home for a 1:30ish outing and 13k with some mild elevation.
MCOS

Re: Fit & Fast(er) for 2021

Post by MCOS »

So nice to have those hills on your doorstep! I have a 30-40 min drive to any decent hill and thats without restrictions :x
RunningMatters

Week 41

Post by RunningMatters »

Wednesday was another cracking day so cycled the kids to school - short way for them, longer for me back.

Two incidents with dickhead drivers:

1. One on way to school on the only section that has no lane markings or segregated cycle lane the cars leaving no filter room had us in a line of traffic, traffic release at lights and car behind me (and kids) revved to overtake and pushed up behind us despite everything in front stopping in 10m again. He frightened the kids, and I let rip at the selfish b@st~#d who had his own kids in the car wearing the same school uniform!! :evil:
When traffic freed we all started moving and down the road he decided to close pass us for the lol's, van behind him did the same - as if traffic was our fault. I was tempted to go after them as they would stop 30m down the road at a roundabout but that would mean the kids are left to fend for themselves. Almost got him at the school as traffic is terrible. I'll see him again.

2. On way home in afternoon I dropped the kids off and came on home. Entering Shankill the traffic was mental due to checkpoints leading into Bray & Wicklow. Filtered up the inside of cars to the roundabout (jumping probably 50 or 60 cars :D ) stopped let traffic on the roundabout clear and moved off to go around 3rd exit. Scream of brakes behind and looking down see a car bumper inches from my leg.
Prick went to overtake me ON THE ROUNDABOUT and go to the 2nd exit.
His excuse - I didn't indicate!! :evil:
What I didn't call him, I don't know. I said what the hell was he doing overtaking someone on a roundabout and even if I was going to exit 2 he would have knocked me off the bike.

Anyway, OOOOOHHHhhhhhSaaaaaaaa :)

No body hurt, but idiots out there.

Afternoon was kids at swimming and I ran.
Got home and BIL had messaged was I going for a run later? So double run day with the second in the lashings of rain.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9nRvuaCCbQtuygcRA

Not a bad day training
MCOS

Post by MCOS »

I don't miss the bike commute for sure. Preferable to the car but there are sheer muppets on the road. Nice, logging training with more already in the bank! You are putting in the hours, it will show come spring! #wintergodarktraining!
RunningMatters

Re: Week 41

Post by RunningMatters »

Thursday

No cycle to school today.
Was a busy day job hunting. Can't see the current industry supporting itself through another 12 months (at least) of these restrictions. Time to look around unfortunately. Anyway CV tidied up and several sent out, we'll see.

Got the Nav Challenge done, some smaller personal projects and other stuff out of the way.

Hopped onto rower for a 10k rate pyramid session. Nice.
Hopped off to find BIL looking to go for a run. :o

So unplanned brick session on two legs that were not ready for it :D

Row 10k 42mins @ 108 DF
Run 8.13km 47 mins
RunningMatters

Re: Week 41

Post by RunningMatters »

Friday

Cycled to school with Rachel and we passed our 'friend' in the car. Never saw him again in the remaining 4k trip to school. Cycling is far more effective over the 7k distance.

Jumped onto rower in the evening for an hour and then chilled for the evening. BIL rang looking to go for a run I politely declined and watched a movie for the evening.

Saturday
Hike day.
Was going to be a quick blast as Rachel was coming and had to be back for Zoom drama class. We opted for Tick Nock which was VERY busy. Still restricted to Dublin so options are limited but I never realised how busy this would be. It was a misty morning and the cloud was low, yet the trails were rammed with people walking, dogs, runners and there was litter everywhere. Quite disgusting.
An out and back and we were done for 8km hike.
RunningMatters

Re: Week 41 Close

Post by RunningMatters »

Sunday

Out at rugby with Ruaidhri in the morning but neglected to run. Opted for coffee and hotdog from the clubhouse instead :D
Jumped on the rower to finish the week. Stuck on "Hercules" and went for a half marathon.
Quite happy with result. Did some messing about with power surges in the km's felt fresh to 10k remaining and made sure to drive on and complete under 1:30

That's my second at the distance. I have a feeling I should give a TT a go, there's probably another minute to shave off there before it really starts to hurt. Need to revisit 5k TT and probably give 10k a lash too as that's just a 'short' training distance now. ;)

No yoga or kayak erg this week - small bit fo foam rolling and weights but not worth logging time at. Will change this next week.

Running: (4) sessions 34km 03:20 ish
Cycling: (3) sessions 70km 04:14:00
Rowing: (3) sessions 45km 03:10 ish
Hiking: (1) session 8.3km 02:06

12.5hr training in total which is more than I thought. Happy days :D
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

There's 10 weeks left in 2020 and I'm wondering can I get to 1,000,000 meters rowed... :idea:
c2 log.jpg
c2 log.jpg (18.04 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
MCOS

Post by MCOS »

Concept 2 season goes from May to June
50k a week! No probs. Your C2 1million club cert will be a nice Xmas gift to yourself