Fit & Fast(er) for 2021

A place for you to log your training as a diary
RunningMatters

Fit & Fast(er) for 2021

Post by RunningMatters »

Not the first training log I've started but maybe one that I can keep uptodate as a diary for myself.
RunningMatters

Re: Fit & Fast for 2021

Post by RunningMatters »

Briefly 2020 has been a slow year for me. Like many, affected by circumstances around the whole Covid-19 pandemic left plans and goals somewhat in the air.

I was registered to do Art O'Neill Challenge at the start of the year and while I was *sorta* ready I had an issue with my back over Christmas and early new year which forced me to pull out.
I changed job at the end of February and immediately headed into a storm of uncertainty as Covid hit hard. Events I was to work on were cancelled, international travel was off and we were working remotely all of a sudden.
Cocooning with elderly, vulnerable parents meant my activities were curtailed. Any semblance of fitness slipped away. A couple of runs, bit of biking and the odd hike and that was pretty much it until mid summer when I pulled the trigger on a Concept 2 rower.

Corner stone of my training is the rower and I've been using it to get weight down (I was 101kg at one point in June) so I can be comfortable running again.

Snapshot in June:
Weight: 101kg
Running: none - negligible
Cycling: negligible
Rowing: none
Other: negligible
S&C / Stretching: negligible
Injuries:
  • frozen right shoulder since ~ February but older symptoms
  • left Achilles and left knee tight & *clicking* connective tissue
  • lower back - some spasms probably due to sitting
RunningMatters

Re: Fit & Fast for 2021

Post by RunningMatters »

So to bring me right up to date.

Through a combination of exercise and adjusting my diet I am now ~ 93-94kg. My goal is 1kg every 2 weeks until goal weight of ~86kg by Christmas and then work on another, realistically, 4-6kg through Spring. If I dipped (healthily) below 80kg I would be lighter than I was at 16. :shock:

My diet is primarily protein based. Sorry I am a carnivore. In the past I found eating mostly protein, fats and very little carb actually works very well for me. It is maintaining the discipline and dealing with people's perceptions that you *NEED* spuds with everything that is the hard part. ;)

I've been rowing pretty consistently. My times are lowering, the workouts are growing. Still 'base' training and I will build a proper 80:20 plan to overlap with other planned winter work.
I am back running a little. If I hit 20k this week I will be happy.
Biking not much at the moment. Balance everything first, get started and work the plan.
Did first big kayak in years last weekend with team captain and BFF Mike - its on https://www.strava.com/activities/4021903134
RunningMatters

Tonelagee Hike - Saturday 12th Sept 2020

Post by RunningMatters »

My boy and I had planned a hike this Saturday, he has no activities at the moment so after last week's play in the woods we said we'd do a bit more this week.
Popping the gear in the car and heading to Laragh we drove up by the Glenmacnass waterfall and parked by the stream there. Kitting out, changing shoes and making sure we had our rain gear etc with us, we locked up and headed off.
There was a group ahead of us which we quickly passed after crossing the river and trekking up the hill towards Tonelagee NE top. It was quiet windy so once we paused by the summit we put on the rain jackets to keep the wind out and took a few Lego photos (will be on the Kids In The Clouds Instagram later https://www.instagram.com/kidsintheclouds/)

Onwards to the saddle from where we could see Turlough Hill - explaining the idea of hydroelectric power and how the lake acts like a big battery was fun. The views over Lough Ouler are superb from this vantage point too.

The ground gets steep as you head up the trail onto Tonelagee itself but a steady pace and scramble in places gets you to easier ground and a slow leveling out to the summit. We paused again by the trig point at the top before using this as a lesson in pacing and navigation. Rather than taking a proper bearing, we planned our route down alright, but for the sake of example 'guessed' the direction we were to go.

Stepping out the distance showed we didn't end up where expected so were able to right ourselves and get back on track - the lesson being that we stopped going too far the wrong way and were able to correct ourselves without burning too much energy. Dropping down off the hill we followed the ridge towards Stoney Hill and dropped down to circumnavigate the lake and find the trail back to the car. We traversed some peat hags which naturally led me to tales of Rogaine where the team had plenty of fun in bog holes in the middle of the night "HOLE!!!" :D

All in all a great morning for a walk, get chance to chat with my boy and teach him some outdoors stuff. Lovely and peaceful though the carpark was jammed when we finished and there were plenty of groups passing up to go to the lake as we came down.

Distance: 8.48km
Elevation: 561m
Total Time: 3:10
Attachments
screenshot-www.strava.com-2020.09.12-19_30_47.jpg
screenshot-www.strava.com-2020.09.12-19_30_47.jpg (68.28 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
RunningMatters

Week 37: In Review

Post by RunningMatters »

It was good to log a full but moderate week. The main aim was to try running a little more consistently to enable me to build on that.
Also to do a more specific session of strength and conditioning as that is VERY haphazard with me of late = tightening of calf and foot issue on left side and key to the rehab of my shoulder.

Activities:
Rowing: (5) sessions | Distance 43.6km | Time 03:08:30
Running: (3) sessions | Distance 17.36km | Time 01:37:00
Hiking: (1) session | Distance 8.49km | Time 03:09:38
Mobility: (2) sessions | Time 01:00:00

Next week we have the start of the Fall rowing challenge. Goal is to run more, stretch more, hike at least 1 session per week and get on the bike even just to commute.
RunningMatters

Week 38: Looking Ahead

Post by RunningMatters »

Weight: 93.6kg
Injury:
Left foot / Achilles / Calf - I know exactly what is happening from a biomechanical point of view, I just need to address it properly.
Right shoulder - continuing rehab and exercises with physio direction
Goals:
Run - build a training program for the next 4 weeks. Use the Polar platform to pre plan this
Row - a daily row with every second day as an interval / power workout. Aim to have a steady minimum 10k recovery row on the off day.
Hike - short night hike or longer day hike
Mobility - work these into my day so they become a break from the desk
Bike - if time allows have one solo bike session otherwise use bike for commute to kids activities where possible.
RunningMatters

Indoor Kayak & SUP training rig

Post by RunningMatters »

A clever idea introduced a few years back by Mike or Kate to address kayak training when we can’t get on the water

Using a €14 resistance trainer from Lidl / Aldi and some inventiveness and you get an effective workout with the only wet being sweat.

62D8411A-709A-47EC-B065-A319551C559E.jpeg
62D8411A-709A-47EC-B065-A319551C559E.jpeg (120.47 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
The addition of a yoga ball ensures you get a proper core workout as it replicates the unsteadiness of a kayak.
41CCD764-5316-46D5-85A6-CF0EFE25A625.jpeg
41CCD764-5316-46D5-85A6-CF0EFE25A625.jpeg (110.7 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
Sitting at roughly the same height as you would over the water you get the feel of pulling the paddle. Balance needs to be good and you can use legs to drive and stabilise. Just like the real thing.
MCOS

Re: Fit & Fast(er) for 2021

Post by MCOS »

My set up. Would like to try the ball for stability and SUP option. Concept 2 gives me the foot plate about 2 feet back from the anchor. How do you achieve that sitting on the ball since the bands are longer etc?

RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

MCOS wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:31 pm How do you achieve that sitting on the ball since the bands are longer etc?
Could you flip around to the other side, feet on the flywheel?

I have my bands shortened way down which gives a lot of resistance too as the majority of the stretch is on a double band rather than a single. All about the power baby!! :D
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

Did ~30 mins of yoga stretches and flows following some beginner videos on Youtube. Thought "grand, need to do something to address flexibility"

Up this morning to go to work - real physical work for a change from sitting behind a desk and I thought I was run over by a train. My arms, back, legs, ass were all sore. It was like I had done a weights session and overdone it.

Yoga. Underestimate it at your peril!! :shock: