Captain's Log, Stardate 14082021

A place for you to log your training as a diary
MCOS

Captain's Log, Stardate 14082021

Post by MCOS »

We have entered the team.
Our mission: After 5 years, we have assembled again for a 5 day adventure in Oban, Scotland :mrgreen:
My Mission: To get there in the shape of my life, and in 1 piece...
MCOS

333 days out: Week in Review

Post by MCOS »

After a fantastic 3hr paddle with Sean last Sunday it was a bit of a yoyo week. Energy yoyo, diet yoyo, mood yoyo, sleep yoyo...

Call from Podaitrist: Need an MRI... booo
Call from Docs office: Had wrong number.... booo (last phone casualty of last ITERA)
Call from Galway Sports Clinic: We have an MRI app.... yay! But its in 2 weeks and your Health Insurance doesn't cover... booo

Life has accelerated again with kids back to school, kids back to dancing, kids back to rugby, kids playdates, back to the office once a week...

Some training did happen: 8hr49min of it.

Last Week Activities
Rowing (5) sessions | Distance 68,167m | Time 4hr42
Running (2) sessions | Distance 13.81 miles | Time 1hr48
Kayak Erg (3) sessions | Distance 21,333m | Time 2hr20
Mobility (2) sessions | Time 0hr53
Strength (1) session | Time 0hr31

The highlight was a 30 min rowing TT. Last 9mins in the cave, squeezing the juice from the legs. 8,137m was a lifetime PR (avg 1:50.2)
Significantly, after almost 2 months of no running, there were a couple of runs and no flare up of my left foot injury. Jury still out until Podiatrist gets the image.
Last edited by MCOS on Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MCOS

333 days out: week ahead

Post by MCOS »

Ditched Galway Clinic. Paid a bit more to get the MRI tomorrow. 12 weeks, waiting long enough. I need to know what is going on..

Weight: 78.2kg. Happy with that weigh in (started 2020 at 86kg), then went and ate a stack of blueberry and banana pancakes with greek yoghurt, strawberries and maple syrup.... twice yesterday :shock:
Injury: Left foot - probable Mortons Neuroma but MRI will confirm one way or the other

Objectives:
Row - Concept 2 Fall Team Challenge kicks off Tuesday. I'll row most days including a workout on Tuesday and Friday
Run - Ideally a couple of runs but its a bit sore today (much better after a day rest)
Kayak - 1-2 Ergs again but plan the next outing with Sean
Mobility - I did a stretch session last week where I held poses for 3-4mins. Felt good but legs destroyed for days after. Naturally, do it again this week!
Strength - Crossfit workout or a couple of Calisthenic sessions
Hike - I'm eyeing up a simple trek up the Silvermines but not sure if foot and schedule will allow.
Bike - Take the cover off the Pyga for the first time in 4 years! Just clean off the spiders and fix tyres. Maybe take the hardtail out for 30mins if I get a chance.

A tall order to do that lot and it will net me 10-12 hours (minus the hike) but at least it has a more AR feel to it
Last edited by MCOS on Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RunningMatters

Re: 333 days out: week ahead

Post by RunningMatters »

MCOS wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:11 pm Felt good but legs destroyed for days after. Naturally, do it again this week!
Absolutely 100% typical you! :D :D
MCOS

MRI & Stuff

Post by MCOS »

Middish week check in..

MRI Tuesday while listening to Alicia Keys. Was supposed to go to see her in the 02 but damn this virus! Asked for images to be sent to Doc and Podiatrist.. more waiting.
I was also given a "CD" copy of the images and for love nor money could not get a disk drive yesterday. At home or in the office. Not even the PlayStation would recognize them. Old tech...!

Stalking the team
Sean - obviously motivated... running, yoga!, rowing, SUP erg, kayak erg, map challenges, erg challenge..
Lonan - I'm green looking at the routes on Strava.. some amount of kms both horizontally and vertically!
Kate - still stuck out on a farm somewhere in the middle of the country
Shane - training for Mournes I think

Personally
A couple of rows and kayak ergs but no workout
S&C... emmm
Ran once, foot ok, I'll run again today
Hike is just wishful thinking.
Bikes will come out of the shed in between mowing the lawn and weeding tomorrow. Caz working so no chance to get out though
MCOS

326 Days out: Week in Review

Post by MCOS »

Busy busy week. Dublin gone to L3 a few counties close to it and Limerick one of them. Finally got the MRI on the foot so just waiting for either Doc or Podiatrist to contact now. Despite the foot flaring up again, I did manage to run a couple of times. Training was plugged in around work, kids and life where possible.

Last Week Activities: 15hr12min Total
Rowing (9) sessions | Distance 109,632m | Time 7hr43
Running (3) sessions | Distance 23.26 miles | Time 3hr09
Kayak Erg (4) sessions | Distance 30,875m | Time 3hr30
Mobility (1) session | Time 0hr30
Strength (1) session | Time 0hr30

The Erg was most days as per objectives. I managed to slice my finger on a steel wire Saturday quite deep (prob needed a stitch) and it was opening during the row on Sunday. Will need to tighten that up for the next few days. Significantly I ran 3 times including a pair of 8 mile 60-70min efforts. The first was 7:57 pace and too much. I was ok to 5m but the foot deteriorated to limp by the time I got home. That was Thursday. It really flared up Saturday but felt ok Sunday morning (such is the nature of this injury). I headed on an easier (8:35 pace) 8 miles while Alex did rugby. It was a glorious morning in around town and I meandered around the river and the Island happily.

Objectives not met: I took the bikes out of the shed and evicted spiders. Alas wheels were flat, tyres need cleaning out and a couple of broken spokes on the rim of the Pyga made me sad. I have a few days off work next week so I plan to both fix and ride the bikes. Worst case I'll take the roadie out for a spin. I didn't get out for a hike either. I can't use not having the time as with AR training all 24/7 is an opportunity. I'll just have to plan in a night hike. Importantly its more about the foot. If it flares up a mile or two from home on a run its not big deal. On top of a ridge line is another matter! Finally no workouts or intensity last week despite 15 hours training.
MCOS

326 Days out: Week Ahead

Post by MCOS »

Challenging week work wise so I'll do well to hit similar volume...

Weight: No weigh in this week.
Injury: Hoping for results this week

Objectives:
Row - 100k including a workout (some hurt!) but I'll happily substitute a row for a run
Run - Every second day if I can. A pain free 30 miles this week would be awesome
Kayak - 2hrs erg and plot next outing with Sean
Hike - Maybe not this week but have an easy one planned for next week, including map and gear..
Bike - Low priority so likely nothing this week
Mobility - Really have to do more often as I sit as a desk most days for hours. 3x 15-30mins minimum!
RunningMatters

Re: Captain's Log, Stardate 14082021

Post by RunningMatters »

Nice going on the week. I’m still working on the consolidation of the weekends as a lot of time is lost there around kids activities.

Kayak for us is going to be tricky and likely into October the way restrictions are looking now 🙁

Hope that foot comes right and we can get a few hike-a-chats in soon. Will be doing MS2 in a few weeks so I’ll be logging the time.
MCOS

Re: Captain's Log, Stardate 14082021

Post by MCOS »

Thanks. Getting there but I need to get into a routine. Weekend is mad alright plus Caz works Saturday so I have to squeeze session in mid kiddie activities or silly o clock. I really try to not train after Sunday afternoon if I can help it. My least favourite time to train.

Yeah bloody restriction. Laois and Limerick not far away from L3 too. I plan to test the foot out on a local ish hill very soon
MCOS

326 days to go

Post by MCOS »

Monday 21 September
Row 35mins | 8k easy | 46% HRR
Run 48mins | 5.81m @8:35 | 60% HRR
Kayak Erg 60mins | 9k easy | 41% HRR

An easy row/run brick session to start the week. This is progress as each Monday for the last 2+months I had been rowing 2x8k easy or 16k easy. Significantly I substituted 8k rowing for 8k running yesterday. I ran Sunday too so this was 2 days in a row! I kept a sensible pace for a controlled trot around suburbia. I was awfully tempted to try some strides but that will have to wait. Made the most of a muggy lunchtime window to get the miles in. The foot is not perfect but feels fine running on flat pavement, road or grass. I'll chase the MRI results this week but It will be awesome if I can run every second day.