325 days to go

Post by MCOS »

Tuesday 22 September
Yoga 45mins
Row 20mins | 5,098m Steady | HRR 62%
Strength 20mins
Row 4mins | 858m| Tabata Set | HRR 83%
Row 41mins | 10,000m Steady | HRR 68%

Workout Day! Eventually I will bring a running workout back into Tuesdays. So today was to get my kicks from a 21-15-9 CrossFit style set and a short tabata blast on the rower.

After a solid 20min rowing warm up I did a short strength session. The 21-15-9 was 40kg thrusters and pull ups. It took me 7 mins to complete the total 45 thrusters and 45 pull ups and I was smashed. I then did an easier 12 min set of calisthenics with my quads still wobbly.

I usually warm up for a tabata set (8x 20sec on 10sec off) but I hopped on cold and went for it. Really went all out on the first reps and then just gave it what I had. I lasted 5 reps strong until I really started to fade. Such a short blast but max effort! I needed my inhaler to catch my raspy breath and I sat back down for a controlled low rate 10k. My arms were shaking for the first 6mins or so until oxygen took control of my body again.
MCOS

324 days to go

Post by MCOS »

Wednesday 23 September
Row 1hr 23 min | Steady 20k | HRR 67-79%
Run 54 min | Easy 6.46m @8:24 | HRR 61-70%
Kayak Erg 40 min | @41spm | HRR 46%

I had an app with the Doc to go over the MRI results and treatment but alas the kids have sniffles and a cough so stuck home. I did get out for a lovely easy run in the fading crisp evening sunshine. I felt a bit ragged for the first mile after 20k rowing in the legs earlier. Some DOMS there from the thrusters the previous day too. However it loosened out, the pace gradually improved for similar effort and had a really enjoyable 10k. Daylight sure is fading faster these days.

Had a rugby coaches webinar later in the evening that I watched while paddling, making best use of available time for training. Just shy of 3hrs for a midweek day is a win.
RunningMatters

Re: Captain's Log, Stardate 14082021

Post by RunningMatters »

You’re fairly cranking out the rower!

What are “thrusters”? Sound awfully like burpees. 😖🤮

I still can’t do a single push-up or pull up with the way my shoulder is 🙁
MCOS

Thrusters

Post by MCOS »

RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

With 40kg in each hand!! :shock:

#impressed
MCOS

Post by MCOS »

No 40kg overall. 20kg DBs!
MCOS

323 Days to go

Post by MCOS »

Thursday 24 September
Yoga 32 mins | rainy salutation sequences
Kayak Erg 60 mins | 8k Easy
Row 35 mins | 8k | HRR 49%

Hopefully these non running days will become few and far between. Doc appointment moved to Monday. Asked to discuss over the phone but he wants to see me in person. Hopefully not bad news :(

A much lighter day today as Friday is a workout day AND a run day :mrgreen: Very easy yoga, very easy paddling and very easy rowing. 2 hours total over the day. I feel I need more yoga/mobility though and maybe a better home office set up.
MCOS

322 days to go

Post by MCOS »

Friday 25 September
Row 41mins | Workout! 3x5min LT & 10x30sec LT | HRR 84-92%
Run 54 mins | Steady to Easy 7.06m @7:40 | HRR 67-87%

The row was 20 mins of work at 18 min 5k pace. It included 4 min in the red zone. Overall a good workout but not ready yet to have a go at sub18. Reps @1:47.1 | @1:46.7 | @1:46.4

The run was easily the best run since early June! Started at 8:20 pace meandering around town in the crisp early evening. Pushed on to a steady effort 7:30 to 7:40 pace feeling good. Its been a while since I've run in the dark too. For the last mile I pushed on again finishing the last 800m <6 min pace :) Felt amazing to run fast again. Won't count the chickens yet though. I have to see the Doc Monday to discuss the MRI results. The foot throbbed lightly after I got out of the shower but eased off quickly.

Saturday 26 September
Row 33 mins | Easy 8k | HRR 58%
Strength 44 mins | EMOM 40
Row 1hr 5 mins | 15k Steady | HRR 64%

A strength session with my eldest today. He did a run warm up while I rowed an easy 8k in the warm autumn sunshine. EMOM is every minute on the minute. He managed 3 sets and I pressed on for 5 sets of
16 squat jumps
16 shoulder tap press ups
16 db dead lifts
10 pull ups
16 reverse lunge to knee drive
16 burpees
26 kb swings
60 sec plank

Pretty tough session but balanced enough set so the quads didn't exhaust. The burpees were a bit evil though. Its been a long time since I did those!

Later I rowed through dusk to finish 16k under a cold moonlight. 2.5hrs for the day.
MCOS

320 days to go

Post by MCOS »

Sunday 27 September
Run Easy 8.26m with a 10min build | 1hr 04 | HRR 68%
Row Steady 10k | 40 min | HRR 67%

Another gorgeous crisp sunny autumn Sunday morning. Dropped my eldest into rugby training in town and set off for an hour meandre around the quiet town. Along the strand cans and chicken hut boxes. Nowhere for the youth to go after 11pm on a Saturday night, so the party hit the streets. Leftover chips attracted every pigeon, seagull, duck and Swan in the city. Quite the sight!

After a few easy miles I slowly passed a guy in black tracksuit pants, top, headband and earphones. Looked more like a boxer than runner. It was on the hard shoulder along a 1.5 mile stretch of the condell road. I didnt want to chat so pressed a little. Thought the heavy steps and breathing would fade but he sped up too. I gradually increased the pace to 7:30, still there. 7:00, still on my tail breathing heavy. 6:30, still hanging on and now I was feeling it. Running out of road will he turn with me? With 100m to the turn, I felt him start to sprint, his shadow closing on mine. I accelerated again to the turn and kept it up after the turn. Alas the footsteps and breathing faded at last. I was half worried he would turn and chase. An impromptu race on a Sunday morning! I had 2 more hills to do before I got back to the car but it was happy running.

Out for a meal with the family later and I was in no mood for more. Reluctantly, I hopped on the rower for a steady 10k, feeling the belly full of pizza dough..

Seeing the Doc in the morning to discuss the MRI.
MCOS

319 days to go

Post by MCOS »

Week Review:
Another busy week last week but some good training. No bike or hike but a few days off next week, even with crap weather.. no excuses!

Last Week Activities: 15hr12min Total - exact same as week before
Rowing (9) sessions | Distance 96,596m | Time 6hr40
Running (4) sessions | Distance 27.59 miles | Time 3hr41
Kayak Erg (3) sessions | Distance 23,876m | Time 2hr20
Mobility/Yoga (2) sessions | Time 1hr17
Strength (2) sessions | Time 1hr04

Another decent 15hr week. Similar to the week before but a little less rowing and an extra run. 4 runs! Even threw a little intensity into it MRI discussion with the Doc this morning. Not stress fracture, not mortons neuroma but an intermetatarsal bursitis. Basically a sac of fluid that flares up with friction. Back to the Podiatrist next for treatment. Doc will refer me for an injection though if I need it. Perhaps a look at the shoe locker too. Those lovely adidas may all be too tight.