Captain's Log, Stardate 14082021

A place for you to log your training as a diary
MCOS

319 days to go

Post by MCOS »

The Week Ahead
With a few days off, I should be good to hit similar volume again.

Weight: 78.7kg... up slightly
Injury: Intermetatarsal Bursistis left foot.. . conservative treatment or referral for injection

Objectives:
Row - 2 tough workouts. A classic 2x2k and a 5k test.
Run - 30+ miles, including an 80min run
Kayak - One or two easy sessions
Hike - 2.5hrs on Silvermines or Moylussa
Bike - Get the broken spokes fixed and go for a spin
Mobility - Maintain 2hrs of S&C
RunningMatters

Re: Captain's Log, Stardate 14082021

Post by RunningMatters »

Finally a diagnosis!! 😃

Sounds like an excuse to go wide fitting in the trail shoes too.

At least you can now work on reducing the inflammation and sorting it out.
MCOS

Post by MCOS »

Monday 28 September
Row 1hr 25min | 20k | HRR 62%
Run 1hr 09min | 8.27m @8:22 | 64% HRR

Back in my tri days a "brick run" was running immediately after a bike session. Felt that jelly leg feel again today. Out the door after a 20k row and I was ropey. It also didn't help that I was feeling the 80 squat jumps and 80 burpees from Saturday. It was a lovely sunny autumn day though and I headed into the countryside for quiet miles. 2.5hrs for the session.

Tuesday 29 September
Hike/Trail Run 1hr 49min | 8.62m @12:39 | 500m+ ascent
Row 20min | warm up
Row Workout | 2x2k pain cave | HRR 84-93%

Finally a mountain session. I had been looking forward to this immensely. A low cloud hing around the Silvermines as I approached from the old N7

The first 3k from the little village of Silvermines is 300m ascent in steep ramps up a road called "the step". Heart rate going straight away. At 400m you reach the crest over to the Siabh Felim Way and the ridge to your right leading out to a Cairn on its westmost peak. Between the gate and the ridge is about a square mile of thick woods. There are 3 ways to get to the other side.
1. A straight climb around anticlockwise on fireroad but uninteresting as view of the whole of Clare is blocked by trees.
2. Straight through the woods in a small clearing, if you can find it. Its is the shortest but boggiest route.
3. Loop around clockwise on trail. Its the longest route that drops 100m initially before climbing to 460m at the other side of the wood.

I opted for route 3 as it has the best views of the south side of Keeper Hill. Alas within a few minutes I encountered a herd of wild horses. The colts were hopping on each other and the stallion stood staring at me. I wasn't chancing it and turned back for route 2.

I was glad I opted for boots and waterproof socks as the direct route up the hill through the wood is very wet. The fog had lifted revealing hundreds of spider webs floating above the long grass. Staying out of the wetest middle of the clearing meant ducking under sharp pines often. Eventually the wood spits you out at 470m. From there its an undulating wide ridge, mostly runnable that takes you steeply up and down a 479m hill and the highest 489m peak that offers panoramic view of South Tipp, Limerick and Clare.

Its about another km of rocky, grassy, boggy trail to the Cairn and job half done. Just a run back across the ridge, around the wood (not the side with the horses) and back down "The Step". My foot wasn't really enjoying the rocky bits of the terrain and especially not the very steep road descent. Still 1hr 49 is some 15min faster than back when I was a training for ITERA 2016

Later I had a workout on the rower. One you have to psyche up for. 2x 2,000m with 4mins active recovery. Its a tough one and I wasn't sure my legs would have the juice after the hills. I did a 20min warm up and got stuck in, aiming for around 7:10 per rep.
Rep 1 | 7:07.0 | 288w | HRR 90%
Rep 2 | 7:05.8 | 290w | HRR 93%

Really pleased with this session. Very solid. The first piece was strong and controlled half way through I was tempted to have a go at 6:59 and leave it at that. That will be another day. The second piece was tougher. I was in the redzone after 2 minutes and I mentally struggled with 650m to go. I hung tough though and finished out, running out of juice fast in the last 90secs. Wasted after it.
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

Gorgeous! Well done on the hike.

Is that the boggy patch you went ass over tit into on the bike?
MCOS

Post by MCOS »

Thanks! No cant get a bike up that section, even hike a bike. Sank right in several times
MCOS

316 days to go

Post by MCOS »

Wednesday 30 September
Row 1hr 29 Easy | 20k | HRR 48%
Row 35min Easy | 8k | HRR 61%
Yoga 28min

Endurance day. Life got in the way of 2hrs straight but still got the 2hrs done. Need yoga/mobility more often

Thursday 1 October
Kayak Erg 60min @38spm
Row Easy 60min | 14k | inc 1,2,3,2,1 min @5k pace

Easy day today. Going to have a go at 5k TT tomorrow if body up for it. Has to be done early as its my little girl's birthday and I'm taking her on a date after school. Threw 9min of 5k intensity spread out as 1,2,3,2,1 mins over the course of the hour. The pace felt good but my heart rate climbed to 84% HRR on the 3min effort which is bit soon. I'd ideally be 4-5mins in by the time I hit 85%. 90% minimum by 3k. I can hopefully handle the redzone from there..
MCOS

315 days to go

Post by MCOS »

Friday 2 October
Row 5k TT

1,000km, 30min TT, 10k TT and 10 workouts done since I posted a sub 19, 18:41. Through those longer TTs, I knew I had a bit more in the tank. Sub 18 is another matter though. It brings me into rower territory.

I did 20min warm up with a couple of bursts at target pace. 1:48 or 3:36 per km. The plan was to keep it steady to 3km and see where I was at that point. I was nervous about this one. Lightly sweating after the warm up I got stuck in. Settled to my pace of 1:47-1:48 and stroke rate of 26-27 almost immediately. I had a rhythm within a minute. Good start..

Heart rate comes into it. I knew that if I hit 3k or 10:40 before the red zone, I'd have a good chance of hanging on. Km 1 by in a flash at 3:34.0 but HRR already past 85%. Km 2 was 3:34.6, good control but no matter how much I tried to relax breathing or faster hands for a split second more recovery, the effort was building faster than anticipated.

By 2.5km the mental game started. I was in the red zone. Km 3 was 3:34.1 and 90% HRR and took soo long. I entertained the idea of calling it at 10mins but stubbornly pushed on. The 4th km started the torture. I made sure to keep driving the legs and keeping the arms straight until last of the stroke. It saved the arms and shoulders but my legs were hurting. Km 4 in 3:34.1. It was very tough but I still had to keep it up. 900m to go sounds easy, sounds short. So many times I've counted down in easy or steady sessions. Just 70 strokes with my legs on fire, HRR at 94% and lungs wheezing.

On every stroke I wanted to stop, to let go of the handle, to stop the pain. But the projected time was motivation. 300m to go is usually time to sprint but I had nothing. I was hanging out of every stroke. Km 5 in 3:34.2 and a finish in 17:51! Bloody delighted with that. The splits may say it was physically a rock solid pace throughout but it was mentally up and down, in and out.

That time would have been an early winter score in my early 20s! I had 3 TTs in mind before Christmas. Thats 1 down and 2 to go. Intetesting that someone on Strava reckons the running equivalent will be a shoe in now. Well, weight and muscle matter more on the rower for starters. But maybe if I can put a base like that together without injury I might get close. A sub 18 5k run would be a lifetime PR

Actual splits
1,000m | 3:34.0 | 1:47.0
2,000m | 3:34.6 | 1:47.3
3,000m | 3:34.1 | 1:47.1
4,000m | 3:34.1 | 1:47.1
5,000m | 3:34.2 | 1:47.2
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

That’s awesome going MCOS. Whatever about what was happening upstairs, the body was in charge and had that all the way through.

Nice one ☝️
MCOS

312 Days to go

Post by MCOS »

Week Review:
One of those weeks where I felt I could have done more but my diary shows and entry everyday! The reality is that 13hours is not as much when you don't have a 40-50 hour work week in the mix. It was noticeable that my sleep was better, recovery between sessions better and I could take my time to mobilise and warm up for sessions.

Last Week Activities: 13hr08min Total
Rowing (6) sessions | Distance 80.5 km | Time 5hr53 including 2x planned workouts completed
Running (3) sessions | Distance 23 miles | Time 3hr08 plus I spent most of the hike actually running
Kayak Erg (1) sessions | Distance 8.5 km | Time 1hr
Mobility/Yoga (2) sessions | Time 0hr58
Hike (1) sessions | 14 km | Time 2hr07

Highlights were the hike/trail run in the Silvermines. I'll be back there soon. The 5k TT was all in, a mark I didn't think I'd hit in my 40s! Getting strides done on the Saturday run was significant. It was some bursts of speed and no pain. I have some confidence to try a session this week.

Not so great was diet. Kiddie birthdays meant a lot of crap in the house and I grazed. I also did no strength. Not something I'd have been concerned about previously but I feel its more important now for posture, holding form and technique when tired, recovery and general movement.
MCOS

312 Days to go

Post by MCOS »

The Week Ahead
Back to work means diminishing windows to train, more mornings and they are already dark!

Weight: no weigh in. Starting the week positive
Injury: Intermetatarsal Bursistis left foot.. . try and get time with Podiatrist for treatment discussion

Objectives:
Row - An easier volume week
Run - 30+ miles including a workout! 800s maybe? But will I wear faster shoes... hmmm
Kayak - One or two easy sessions
Hike - Restrictions will likely remove any opportunity unless I #GoDark
Mobility - More mobility, more often. Clock at least 2 hours of my mat rolled out!