Fit & Fast(er) for 2021

A place for you to log your training as a diary
RunningMatters

Re: Fit & Fast(er) for 2021

Post by RunningMatters »

First proper Interval run in a while this evening. Have started a HR program with the Polar Vantage V again and going to stick it through to see what difference it makes.

It was:
  • Warmup 14:00 Zone 1-3
  • Work 5:00 Zone 4-5
  • Rest 2:00 Zone 3
Above Work / Rest x3
  • Cooldown 5:00 Zone 1-2
Looking at the average pace of the work sections ~4:35-4:37 per km which at close to max Zone 4-5 now was my mpace when training for Amsterdam in 2013. 7 years and a lot of running ago, I know, but frightening when compared like that.

Its a marker though so goal is get lighter back to those paces at a more comfortable -15bpm (or more -20bpm) and bring interval pace back close to 4:00/km
RunningMatters

Re: Kilbride hike - Saturday 19th Sept 2020

Post by RunningMatters »

With Dublin in covid restrictions fro Friday night we made sure to stay within the county boundaries for our hike. Scouring the map we opted for the area around the military camp at Kilbride for a bit of interest.

Parking up and gearing up, Ruaidhrí had his waterproof socks to add to his comfort in the bogs so he was happy. We set out, crossing the road, and skirting the camp boundary on a decent trail up to the first summit at Seachan or Seahan where the wind picked up nicely. It was quite cool so we put our rain jackets on as a blocking layer. Fruit pastilles for the first CP and we headed first on a clear trail as an exercise before correcting and getting back on our bearing into the saddle and up to Corrig in the mist.

Using the map and compass we were comfortable knowing our route even if it wasn't a clear trail. We set interval points and used pacing in places to practise and make sure we were on track. We met some other hikers on Corrig who were undecided about proceeding or turning back but we were happy to carry on. More fruit pastilles and we went on our bearing for the long transit across the shoulder to Seefingan which was completely clouded over.

The markers for the military area appeared out of the mist as a sort of handrail just to reassure us that we were not drifting off the bearing. Looping around bog pools and peat hags kept us busy as we counted away and back to stay roughly on the right heading. Climbing up to the summit of Seefingan where it opened up broad and flat with no real summit marker but with Wicklow Nature reserve markers and military camp markers we knew we were correct.

5 figures appeared out of the mist in front of us and a quick chat where they insisted they had come from Corrig like us and heading to the tomb showed me they had got turned around. Their bearings and planned directions were at complete odds to my plan and track. A brief moment of doubt and rechecking our map and compass I was certain we were 200m East from the tomb and convinced the group to follow me for the 3 minutes that would get us there. If nothing else we would be all together and relatively safe.

120 paces later the tomb appears out of the mist right where it should be. Now, they knew where they were and could get on the right track again.
IMG_1861.jpg
IMG_1861.jpg (141.17 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
A quick look at the tomb before another group appeared and turned back when we gave the weather report on the rest of the hill. We all (socially distanced) headed for Seefin to the megalithic tomb ~5000 year old where we looked inside and had another snack and photos.

Job done we just had the final decent to the road and a trot back to the car to wrap up a challenging morning in the hills with what I class as Level 6 Navigation - no visibility, but not raining and at daytime.
Klbride.jpg
Klbride.jpg (45.44 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
https://www.strava.com/activities/4082185884
RunningMatters

Week 38: Review

Post by RunningMatters »

RunningMatters wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:02 am Weight: 93.6kg
Injury:
Left foot / Achilles / Calf - I know exactly what is happening from a biomechanical point of view, I just need to address it properly.
Right shoulder - continuing rehab and exercises with physio direction
Goals:
Run - build a training program for the next 4 weeks. Use the Polar platform to pre plan this
Row - a daily row with every second day as an interval / power workout. Aim to have a steady minimum 10k recovery row on the off day.
Hike - short night hike or longer day hike
Mobility - work these into my day so they become a break from the desk
Bike - if time allows have one solo bike session otherwise use bike for commute to kids activities where possible.
Not a bad week looking back. Achieved most of what I wanted, I didn't get to bike but was happy with the rest of the week.
3 decent run session with a longer progressive run on Sunday; probably my longest run of the year to date :shock:
Plenty of rowing as the Fall Challenge started on Tuesday.
Did a yoga session which was a proper workout that I didn't expect to feel sore from but I sure did!! ;)

Activities:
Rowing: (4) sessions | Distance 50.1km | Time 03:45:00
Kayak Erg: (1) session | Time: 00:15:00
Running: (3) sessions | Distance 30.60km | Time 02:30:00
Hiking: (1) session | Distance 10.81km | Time 03:33:38
Mobility: (1) sessions | Time 0:30:00
RunningMatters

Week 39: Looking Ahead

Post by RunningMatters »

Weight: 93.4kg - very little change this week despite being careful with food and minimising sweet stuff altogether. Might need to keep a food diary for a couple of weeks to see where the weak spots are. :cry:
Injury:
Left foot / Achilles / Calf - left foot is quite sore and stiff after the hike and in the morning. This indicates an over stretch in the connective tissue which generally comes from calf conditioning pulling on the heel.One to watch and address with more foam rolling and targeted hockey ball work.
Right shoulder - continuing rehab and exercises with physio direction
Goals:
Run - continue with the Polar plan of 3 sessions this week
Row - keep to the plan with proper interval sessions included this week
Hike - should be in the Comeraghs but this nav event is cancelled. Will do a Saturday hike again with Ruaidhri
Mobility - work these into my day so they become a break from the desk. Include kayak erg as a session here too.
Bike - have spoken with BIL and will aim for a MTB session in the local hills this week. Juts get out and spin legs to get some conditioning back.
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

Got really good feedback on the MS1 course I did a few weeks back which went from:
Your navigation those two days was really impressive. You rarely put a foot wrong. I could see you observing and navigating and improving the whole time. Glad you enjoyed the course and got a lot out of it.
through a breakdown of some of the skill we did and the course work to
you'll have no problem with MS2 if you choose to do it, and I'd be delighted to see you back.
So that is the plan - do MS2 in October, Wilderness or Mountain First Aid certification in November and full MS Assessment in January / February after some more winter hikes logged.
MCOS

Post by MCOS »

Had a big waffly post about diet diary posted yesterday but maybe I didn't submit? I suggest using MyFitness Pal app for 10 days then ditch it. Export the reports to excel and you have an idea of your macros (if you manually upload your training in the diary too).

I did it in the same vein as I did with Catherine Norton (Munster Team Nutritionist) as part of an Ironman study back in UL years ago. Of course took 8+ years to sink in!

Kcal deficit is car crash territory. You need to fuel training! Case in point I'm now down to 78kg from 86 at Christmas
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

MCOS wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:15 am I did it in the same vein as I did with Catherine Norton (Munster Team Nutritionist) as part of an Ironman study back in UL years ago. Of course took 8+ years to sink in!

Kcal deficit is car crash territory. You need to fuel training! Case in point I'm now down to 78kg from 86 at Christmas
As I wrote that about food diary I was mentally kicking myself for it too. As you know I've had hit and miss and confusing contractions with my diet and training over the years. By process of elimination LCHF or full carnivore diet seems to work the absolute best for me. I just need to stop justifying the "occasional" sweet treat for myself. ;)

I get proper satiation & fuelling from very little when my diet is right and can avoid the sugary mind trick of hunger. Saying that, the occasional fruit or nut bar and fruit pastilles is a real hit when hiking :D

I'm also aware I can see and feel my shape changing so there is a balance with fat loss and muscle building too.
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

Had a lovely spin to school yesterday with my daughter who decided she wanted to cycle to school. At 11 going 12 I need to be ever aware of her activities as keeping her motivated into her teens will be key.

Pulled out the road bike as saving the MTB for later in the week. Was cycling along thinking "Jesus, I'm not cycle fit at all!" decided to return on the coast road to add a hill over Killiney just for the LOLS!
IMG_1884.jpg
IMG_1884.jpg (168.27 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
Did the same this morning but thought legs were really heavy - maybe the :shock: cycle, run, row yesterday was having an effect. Even ate a banana just in case. :shock:

Cycling back from the school I had to hop of the bike at traffic lights and moving the bike realised the back wheel was stuck. Investigation led to discovering a bracket for a winter mudguard was rubbing on the tyres (changed to 25's recently so 'slightly' taller tyre size) like a sticky brake.

Once I removed the offending restriction it felt a whole lot different! It really is the simple things that matter.

(It did remind me of my mini meltdown in the Beast where I just could not get my tyres pumped up hard enough as the bike felt sluggish then too. ME of course being the sluggish element :lol: )
RunningMatters

Post by RunningMatters »

Motivated by an offhand comment by my mother when chatting about the weekend hikes I realised she had never been up in the trails near our home where the leadmines chimney overlooks the village. Between one think and another she just felt she was past it and that would be that.
So.
I promised her last night I would bring her for her daily walk to the leadmines. She walks daily as opposed to me walking her but anyway. ;)

I had to direct her to the parking spot and pointed out the view to Wicklow and off we went. Just a short little walk but she was so chuffed with herself as it was a complete change from the usual footpath around the village walk that she does. Have promised to bring her to Scalpwood next time :)
Leadmines.jpg
Leadmines.jpg (48.63 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
https://www.strava.com/activities/4100948988
MCOS

Post by MCOS »

Good man.. bringing the young lad out onto the hills and Mum onto the local trails! Thats what life is all about and integrating teh family time with your own AR journey is commendable!